Fire Chief Position Announcement
Starting Salary - $10,259—$10,500 a month; depending on qualifications
Application Deadline is July 28, 2014 at 4:00pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.
The primary responsibility of the Fire Chief is to serve as the Chief Administrative Officer for the Fire District. The Fire Chief will provide guidance and direction in the over all management and administration of the Fire Department while promoting response readiness and support the mission of the Fire District through effective and efficient management and leadership. The position shall be classified as an Executive or Administrative employee, the position is an exempt position for the purpose of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Must possess a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible fire service command experience including full-time supervisory experience, with 5 years at Battalion Chief rank or higher
- Three (3) years experience in labor management and relations
- Three (3) years experience as a career officer in managing fire department programs involving both career and volunteer personnel
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, public administration or closely related field. Consideration may be given to currently employed Chief Officers of Pierce County Fire District No. 16, without a degree, but meeting all other minimum qualifications.
- Must possess, a valid Washington state driver's license by date of hire with the Department
- Is subject to background check of drivers' record, criminal records, fire service experience, and educational transcripts to verify qualifications
- No felony convictions
- No criminal histories/convictions within the past seven (7) years
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language
- Must successfully complete employment testing process of the Department
- Must successfully pass a medical physical as determined by the District's physician which shall al-so include a psychological evaluation
- Shall possess as a minimum Advanced First Aid certification or equivalency within one year following entry on duty with the Department, and thereafter shall maintain such certification
- Shall demonstrate ability to understand standard accounting principles and/or the Washington State BARS (Budget Accounting Reporting System) or equivalent
- Shall reside within fifteen minutes, under normal driving conditions, of the Fire District’s response boundaries by the end of the probationary period
- Must be of good moral character and of temperate, conscientious habits and requires that the Chief demonstrate good character through words and actions
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Masters degree in Fire Science, public administration or closely related field
- Graduate of National Fire Academy Executive Fire Officer Program
- Chief Fire Officer Designation through the Center for Public Safety Excellence
- Five (5) years experience as a current Fire Chief in a combination fire department
- Reside within the Fire District’s response boundaries
- Experience with fire-based ALS/BLS transport services
- Experience with media and public relations and or PIO duties
- Experience with grant writing and or alternative funding resources
See full announcment on our Web Page under "Press Releases"