Limited Outdoor Burning is allowed within the boundaries of Pierce County Fire Distrcit #16, providing there are no Burn Bans in effect and your fire and/or the smoke from your fire does not become a nuisance to others.
The types of outdoor burns that are allowed are: Recreational Fires and Residential Yard Debris Fires.
Recreational fires (camp fires) are allowed on the Key Peninsula, however you must adhere to the following regulations:
- Limited to burning dry, seasoned wood or charcoal briquettes only
- not to exceed three-feet in diameter by two two-feet in height.
- Must be for the purpose of cooking, pleasure or religious ceremonies.
Residential Yard Debris Fires
You DO NOT need a Permit for Residential Yard Debris Fires when the following regulations have been followed:
- Limited to natural vegetation consisting of leaves, prunings, and other yard and garden refuse ONLY
- The burn pile must be smaller than 4'x4'x3'
- The burn pile must be at least 25' from any structures
- The burn pile must be at least 10' from any property lines
- Establish a fire break extending 10' from the edge of the burn pile
- Do not leave your fire unattended
- You may burn only one pile at a time
- The fire should not include materials hauled from another property
- A garden hose connected to a water supply, or a shovel and five-gallons of water shall be provided a the burn site at all times
- Always check with us for permit and safety requirements before you light any outdoor fire
You DO need a Permit for Residential Yard Debris Fires if you want to have a larger burn pile. Permits can be obtained at The Key Center Fire Station M-F and the site of the burn pile must be inspected BEFORE any burning can take place. The regulations for Permitted Yard Debris Fire are the same as for a non permitted one with the following additions/changes:
- The burn pile must NOT exceed 10'x10'x5'
- The burn pile must be at least 100' from any occupied structures
- The burn pile must be at least 50' from any other structures
- The burn pile must be at least 15' from any property lines
- Piles maybe stacked by hand or equipment