Our volunteers are on call to respond to a wide array of emergencies including fires, medical incidents, vehicle collisions, water rescue and natural disasters. They also respond to "general alarms" when on-duty firefighters are responding to multiple calls or a major incident. Besides responding to emergencies, we rely on volunteers to participate in a variety of public education events and services.
The volunteer program offers a wonderful training opportunity for those interested in making a career of the fire service or are happy serving their community. Over the years, the Key Peninsula Fire Department has hired several of their own volunteers as career firefighters.
What you'll gain as a volunteer firefighter with us
Once accepted into our volunteer program you will be placed into the Pierce County Volunteer Fire Academy for your training. This academy is one of the top rated in the state and has a very knowledgable cadre. The Academy runs for 3 months on Tuesday and Thursday nights and some weekends. If successful comletion of the academy is achieved, you will hold the same credentials as that of a career firefighter graduating from academy.
- You will earn an IFSAC Firefighter 1 certification.
- You will earn an IFSAC Haz-Mat Operations certification.
- You will be preparred to test for an IFSAC Firefighter II certification.
We have one open enrollement period each year where the deparment is accepting application packets. The enrollement period is as follows:
- September 1st - October 31st
Once the application period has closed, the submitted packets will be reviewed and canidates will be contacted to schedule follow-up selection activites to include:
- Written Exam
- Oral Board Interview
- Background and Driving Record Checks
- Chief Interview
- At least 18 years of age by date of hire
- Possess a valid Washington State driver's license with an acceptable driving record
- High school diploma or GED
- Ability to pass physical and background requirements
Where to get an application packet
The front office is open Mon. - Fri. form 08:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Please feel free to Contact Us if you have any questions.